Monday, March 12, 2018

Once More, From the Top

Arrgh, these kids and their fancy "trophies"!

For the past ten years or so, I’ve been a volunteer coach at John W. North High School.  Speech and debate are my thing, although I’m better at speeching than I am debating. 

No, it’s true.  Look it up.

I was not the best competitor (high school and college), but I enjoyed the process.

Anyhow, this weekend was the State Qualifying Tournament.  I’ve been focused on a single tournament this year, one that pays out cash for first, second, and third place, so these quals tournaments weren’t even on my radar.  One of my students insisted on going, so I worked with her, got her speech in shape, and sent her on her way.

She broke to finals.

This is her first year on my program (she’s a sophomore) and her second tournament ever.

Once again, it looks like I don’t get to resign anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment